Form of Employment: Short-term consultancy (10 days)
Starting Date: As soon as possible
Duration: The total assignment duration is spread over the period from January 2021 to September 2021
Location: Libya / desk work (with potential travel to Tunis)
CILG-VNG International is the regional office for the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region of the International Agency of the Association of Netherlands Municipalities (VNG International). We are a development consulting organization of international and national institutions.
We are specialized in governance and local development, and we provide consulting services in public policies and strategies. We ensure the implementation of technical assistance programs to achieve:
- The development and implementation of public reforms on decentralization and the conduct of the processes of exchange and debate on these reforms.
- The development and strengthening of authorities, administrations and civil society actors actively working at the local level, especially on issues of strategic planning, local service provision and participatory governance through the establishment of various forms of partnership such as inter-municipal cooperation, cross-border cooperation and partnership between local authorities and the private sector-civil society.
- The identification, realization and evaluation of inclusive and prosperous local economic development projects that enable citizens to obtain the best of their communities.
Under the ISAL project (Improved Service Delivery and Accountability at Local Level) which is implemented by a consortium of CILG, VNG International and DRI and funded by the European Union, DRI aims to contribute to the consolidation of the democratic transition and stabilisation process in Libya by:
- Enhancing the capacities of Libyan public institutions at local and national level, enabling an environment for effective service delivery.
- Empowering Libyan municipalities and other local level public institutions to enhance social cohesion through good governance and local economic development increasing employment among youth and women.
- Strengthening local capacities to promote collaborative governance and extensive participation in the transition process among the Libyan population.
An essential component of the ISAL project is the convening of a Group of Thinkers (GoT) who will explore the topic Territorializing the National Strategy for Waste Management. Over a period of 9 months, the Group of Thinkers will co-create and validate a Theoretical Paper and a Practical Study on this theme, propose policy recommendations and engage relevant stakeholders. This process will produce knowledge products that will inform the trajectory of the project.
A total of six local experts will form this GoT who have expertise in at least one of these fields:
1. Design and implementation of effective and efficient waste management systems
2. Decentralisation of responsibilities and funds to lower tiers of government
3. Public service finance modelling
4. Public service planning, provision, and delivery at municipal level
5. Strengthening democratic local governance
To aid this knowledge production process, VNG International/ CILG is recruiting Libyan Local Experts and practitioners, an International Expert, and a Libyan Local Senior Expert/Lead Writer to form this GoT specialized on Territorializing the National Strategy for Waste Management..
Under the supervision of the Key Experts and the senior expert/ lead writer, the local expert will:
- Form part of the GoT, participate actively in the discussions, and put forward practical suggestions to move from theory to practice
- Present at the Opening Event of the GoT highlighting your area of expertise related to current obstacles, interesting initiatives, and ways forward in relation to the role of CSOs in local affairs with a focus on transparency, accountability and the inclusion of women and youth in local affairs
- Participate in a co-design creative process which would lead to the production of a Theoretical Paper and a Practical Study by providing feedback, access to relevant stakeholders and practical recommendations
- Identify the various problems related to the theme and propose solutions throughout the process
- Validate, provide feedback, and advise the co-authors of the Theoretical Paper and Practical Study during the entire creative writing process
- Connect the co-authors of the studies to relevant stakeholders to facilitate the process of the study
Engage with the GoT in formulating practical Policy Recommendations based on the findings of the Theoretical Paper and Practical Study and the experts’ knowledge in the field
You may be asked if you would like to become the co-author for the Practical Study-if you accept you will be provided with more days in relation to your level of effort.
Your Skills and Experience:
- University degree in economics, law, public administration, political science, sociology, social work, anthropology, engineering, management or other relevant fields
- At least five (4) years of demonstrable knowledge and experience in one or more of the following areas: Waste Management, Strengthening civil society’s commitment to government public accountability in conflict affected situations; Effective and inclusive service planning, provision and delivery at municipal level; Strengthening democratic local governance; Gender or youth considerations in municipal planning; Effective community engagement/cooperation between governance actors and community actors
- Have a record of initiatives and projects in one or more of the above subject areas
- Be able to access stakeholders who operate at a municipal level to take in consideration local politics and the local policy-making processes
- Flexibility and ability to work under tight time frames
- Experience in facilitating and designing research focused meetings
- Fluency in Arabic required; English is preferred
- Ability to write in a clear, concise and accessible manner
- Excellent oral/written communication skills (Essential)
- Ability to work as part of a diverse team
- Demonstrable track record of engaging with MLG and government actors
- Record of publications on the relevant topics
Practical Presentation for the Opening Event: January 2021
Attendance and reporting out to the Opening Event: January 2021
Attendance and written suggestions/feedback on Theoretical Paper during the validation sessions: January – February 2021
Attendance and written suggestions/feedback on the Practical Study during the validation sessions: March 2021 – June 2021
Attendance and written suggestions/feedback on the Policy Recommendation sessions: August – September 2021
Attendance and participation in the Final Conference: September 2021
How to Apply:
If you are interested in this position, please send your application (cover letter, CV, Examples of your work-articles and your daily rate in Euro) to firstname.lastname@example.org Please include “Libya:Group of Thinkers (GoT) Member: Local Expert on Territorializing the National Strategy for Waste Management” in the subject line and refer to the source where you have found this opportunity.
Closing date for applications: December 10, 2020. The position may be filled before the deadline has been reached, so early applications are encouraged.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.